A Travellerspoint blog

Staycation Naardge!

Day 3

Homeward bound day. As seems the norm, last night we had a visit from the Army's Apache helicopters overflying and landing in the field behind the campsite. Again it was dark and they arrived about 9.30pm. They hung around about fifteen.minutes before one took off and looped around about 200 feet off the ground and then it headed east towards the coast.

We had another fitful night with Reggie joining us around 1am. Then unlike at home he wants to pee about 5.30am, then have his breakfast a out 7.30am. All "asked for" by a variety of vocal winging tones.

So it was way after 9am.before we surfaced. Ablutions complete and the campsite gear all our away do we could leave ASAP. We decided to empty the grey water before leaving. As that was draining at the Moho service point I emptied the toilet cassette. Not a fun job but as we only use the onboard loo for "number ones" it's not not as bad as it could be! 😉 Number two = poo.

We left at 1122am. I had planned to stop at Southwold so the route back was a loop via Potter Heigham. We took the new road bridge rather than the old humpy bridge over the river. This is famous on the Norfolk Broads as one of the trickiest to go under in a boat. Many modern floating bungalows can't fit at all!

Bypassing Great Yarmouth and on towards Lowestoft. I expected us to be on the A12 but we weren't. We lost the best part of 40 minutes getting through. A truck had broken down and for some reason Suffolk Police didn't bother to attend. So there was a tailback of several miles trying to squeeze past. Pretty poor show. Maybe they think roads policing is simply speed cameras and the advertised "unmarked police motorcycle" that they operate?

By then the outside temperature was 29 °C and way too hot for Reggie to be out and so I cancelled the waypoint at the Southwold Pier car park. We eventually found the A12 and headed towards London and the M25.

Crossing the Orwell

Crossing the Orwell

We did have a few drive-through trips into "services" before stopping at one a junction before the turnoff for Colchester United's football stadium. It boasted a Shell garage and Waitrose food hall. Reggie eventually went for a pee in the car park of the neighbouring Holiday Inn hotel. The carpark of which was totally empty and much of the grassed areas unkempt and litter strewn ...

We made good progress after that. I set the cruise control to 60, which in reality is about 55mph. At that speed the inside lane is your lane! The only hassle was at the Dartford Crossing . Southbound is over the beautiful Queen Elizabeth II Bridge. Four lanes wide and a 50mph limit. The red crosses ❌ were showing a ove lanes 3 and 4. Why? One the downside towards Kent, there had been a shunt. A car mist have hit something hard judging by how far the front has moved back towards the windscreen. Once past we all toed it!


People don't give this bridge credit for how high above the river it is.

Even the 50mph limit through Operation Brock didn't hamper us too much. Set the cruise control at 50mph and occasionally switch it off as you catch people that are doing less! Of course, all the while being overtaken by people that don't bother slowing down. I just hope they receive a fine in the post!!!

And so that was it for our two nights away in Norfolk. Next it's two nights midweek at Littlehampton. It's not as far to travel. It's just off the A259, the road that runs by our house.

Posted by InvictaMoto 18:02 Archived in England

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.