A Travellerspoint blog

Staycation - Back of Beyond to Brixham

We were up early. When you have a dog and are in a confined space, when he is awake so are you. 

We were all three of us ready for breakfast when we went over to collect fresh baguettes and croissants. We opted for one baguette between two for breakfast with Claire's homemade marmalade. 


Then we were off. Emptying the grey water at the service point, then on the A35 with the first destination of West Bay near Bridport. 

The A35 was again busy even though we had left the site before 11am.

One of the problems in this area seems to be the dual carriageway roads become single lane, this leads to tailbacks as the traffic has to merge. The same happens on the A303 near Stonehenge.

In fact the first stop turned out to be the at the Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum, in er, Tolpuddle. The museum wasn't open but I managed to take a photo. Tolpuddle Martyrs website


At West Bay we found a parking area for motorhomes near to the old station. There is a buffet in a short length of carriages. At £1.50 an hour it's cheaper than at home. We had a walk around the harbour and along the promenade to look at the cliffs and see the gang gliders, some up close. A coffee and biscuit at Windy Corner Cafe at Helmet City.


From West Bay we set off back onto the A35 westwards with the next stop being Dawlish Warren.

This is where my brother and I came quite a few years in the 60's with our parents and grandparents.

The A35 and then A30 was pretty packed and it suffered the same two into one traffic system!

We finally arrived by following the river Exe rather than the route I had expected. This is a little narrower than I would have liked for the Van. We arrived as planned and I parked in the beach road car park. Another £2.10 for an hour's parking.

When we were kids, where the car park is now was where the circus and fairground was.  Now it is concreted over. The bridge under the railway is still there and still a bit low. I didn't risk the Van.

I bought a cheap straw hat that seems to owe more to plastic that straw. It might get the heave-ho in favour of something else made in China... We went under the bridge, loo visit, then an ice-cream and then a walk along the promenade to the bridge over the railway to the Van.

The sea wall is much higher than I remembered from around 55 years ago. The jumble of rocks between the beach and the wall are pretty much there to break up the waves. I wonder if the brown plastic shoe I lost there is still somewhere under those rocks. My foot got caught and it came off when I pulled it free.


As we crossed the bridge, a train came.  Expecting Reggie to go mad he seemed  confused that there was no whistle and no smoke. Electric is like that.

The last leg of the journey to Brixham also took and unexpected turn. I hadn't expected a trip through the centre of Brixham. In the end we arrived at the Garden House from the opposite direction. A quick reverse round the corner in the road opposite and I was parked. Quite chuffed actually at my driving and parking skills.

We were met by the owner.  A very nice welcome and we unpacked the Van. A coffee and a shortbread later and a chance to sit down .. Then dinner and some TV before bed.

Tomorrow, we will stay local to relax a bit. My brother and niece, Eleanor, are visiting tomorrow. Neill is down to visit her in Exeter. It was her birthday today. Don't ask me how old she is!! 😉

P.S. The hat must go.

Posted by InvictaMoto 19:51 Archived in England

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.